Grifols Shared Services North America, Inc Research Associate III in Emeryville, California
Do you want to join an international team working to improve the future of healthcare? Do you want to improve the lives of millions of people? Grifols is a global healthcare company which, since its foundation in Barcelona in 1909, has been working to improve the health and well-being of people all over the world. Our four divisions - Bioscience, Diagnostic, Hospital and Bio Supplies - develop, produce and market innovative medicines, solutions and services in more than 100 countries and regions.
The Research Associate III position will support GDS research and development of recombinant proteins and antibodies through independent and skilled execution of experiments and tasks. This position will work closely with the Research Team to support the design of new immunodiagnostic reagents; the development of upstream, downstream, and characterization processes to produce these reagents; and/or the transfer of processes to manufacturing or R&D groups in GDS, Grifols companies, or external partners. In a research capacity, the incumbent will be supporting project needs by utilizing a variety of bacterial, yeast and mammalian cell culture, molecular biology, protein characterization, or protein purification techniques. This may include the associate's application of his or her technical expertise to develop, execute, or interpret results of scientific research experiments. This position supports the critical efforts of the Immunodiagnostic business in the development and the sucessful launch of Grifols Competitive Diagnostic products.
Primary responsibilities for role:
● Independently executes experiments using technical laboratory skills that may include protein assay and characterization, microbial/yeast/mammalian expression, and protein purification workflows
● Proficiently operates laboratory equipment, which may include BLI, cell culture platform, DLS, ELISA, HPLC, FPLC, mass spectrometry, photospectrometry, SPR instrumentation
● Analyzes protein functionality (in case of antibodies also evaluates specificity), quality, stability, and structure by running and developing new and routine assays
● Troubleshoots unexpected results and assists other lab staff in executing their research projects and experiments, as needed
● With supervision, selects methodological approaches and specific methods to achieve research objectives
● Analyzes and interprets project results. Displays strong communication skills and articulates findings to colleagues, project teams, and various levels of management
● Assists in preparing written reports on all phases of product development
● Fulfill other lab related duties, including: keeping detailed, accurate records, maintaining lab equipments and laboratory supplies, modeling compliance with Grifols safety and training requirements
● Attends and participates in scientific meetings and seminars
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Demontrated skills in microbial/yeast protein expression, purification and/or bioanalytical characterization
Knowledge of mammalian recombinant protein expression and immunoassay testing of serum and/or blood samples, a plus.
Reliability for executing extended scientific protocols.
Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
Ability to routinely and independently propose design and troubleshooting.
Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint; familiarity with ImageLab, Geneious, and/or Unicorn software is desirable
B.S. degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biology or other life science field
- Minimum of 5 years in laboratory setting; pharmaceutical or biotech experience a plus.
Depending on the area of assignment, directly related experience or a combination of directly related education and experience and/or competencies may be considered in place of the stated requirements. Example: If a job level requires a Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years of experience, an equivalency could include 8 years of experience, an Associate’s degree with 6 years of experience, or a Master’s degree with 2 years of experience.
Associate is capable of lifting minimum 20 lb.
Associate is expected to work primarily in a research laboratory.
Associate is expected to be fluent in English, oral and written.
EEO Minorities/ Disability/Veterans
Grifols is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic disposition or characteristics, disability or veteran's status or any other classification protected by applicable State/Federal laws. We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Req ID: 298028